Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problems restoring an Exchange plugin backup

2009-06-26 02:47:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problems restoring an Exchange plugin backup
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:43:10 -0700
James Harper wrote:
>> Another update: I found out that the database is in fact in a "Dirty
>> Shutdown" state (eseutil.exe told me that) - hence it won't work
>>
> (mount).
>
>> I found a discussion about this here:
>>

> http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg30912.
> html
>
>> But it seems like there was no solution for the problem. Am I right to
>> conclude that the database is in fact copied while active and as such
>>
> in
>
>> the dirt state? Shouldn't the plugin handle this?
>>

> How urgent is it to get this fixed?
>
> As far as I can tell you are doing everything right... I'll look up
> those error messages.
>
> James

I'm not sure how the Exchange plugin works here. Since you are talking
about backing up/restoring the database *file*, the Exchange plugin may
not even figure in the picture, doesn't that provide a mailbox-level backup?

Assuming that the Exchange plugin is not part of the picture, what you
are observing is actually normal behavior.

When the bacula-fd does the backup, it uses VSS to take a snapshot of
whatever state the file is in at that specific point in time. Since
Exchange is running at this point, this would be a "dirty" state, just
as you are seeing. What VSS does do is ensure that the file does not
change in the middle of the backup, so even though it is dirty, at least
it is internally consistent. Basically, the file is in the exact state
it would have been in had Exchange crashed at the snapshot-point in time.

To recover the file, you will need to first run eseutil over it to clean
it up (there are tons of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles about that,
and what to do and what not to do). One more hint: if you rebuilt the
server and/or reinstalled Exchange, make sure you apply ALL patches,
service packs etc. before you run eseutil! The file format has changed
over time, and if your Exchange data file is from a newer version of
Exchange than the eseutil you are using, eseutil will not recognize the
format and report a huge number of corruptions.

Once eseutil is finished, mount the file. If you already had the
Exchange server running, don't mount it as the regular data store (you'd
lose the emails that arrived in the meantime), but into a recovery
storage group. You can then access the mailboxes in that file for
recovery purposes (hint: get the EXMERGE utility to export each mailbox
into a PDB file, and then to import the mailbox into the regular mailbox).

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.