Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] volume management & holidays

2009-05-26 09:23:20
Subject: [Bacula-users] volume management & holidays
From: Olaf Zevenboom <olaf AT artefact DOT nl>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:17:50 +0200
Dear List,

We have got a single-slot tapedrive and therefor do not have the luxury
of letting Bacula decide which volume/tape to use. So our configuration
forces Bacula to use a Monday-volume(tape), a Tuesday-volume(tape) etc.
I have implemented a RunBeforeJob which checks if the current date is a
holiday or not and forces the backup to be canceled if needed.
However this leads to the need of multiple manual interventions as soon
as the holidayperiod has ended: when a pool of volumes is pruned for
instance the Monday volume gets pruned and on Tuesday (not being a
holiday) Bacula want the oldest available volume being the Monday
volume. The next day same issue. This obviously continues until the
retention-period in that pool is reached again.

How can I let Bacula skip that volume one more entire retention period
(through a script)?

Regards
Olaf

PS
I have an idea how to do this but it will require extensive scripting
and as far as I know there is no "predict" command in bconsole to
predict which volume will be used next the script has to be flawless to
predict and manipulate the catalog. Sounds a bit dangerous to me.
Something easier and less invasive would be nice.