Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] volume management & holidays

2009-05-27 10:09:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] volume management & holidays
From: Olaf Zevenboom <olaf AT artefact DOT nl>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 15:44:07 +0200
Basically I think I have the following options:
1. Have a admin job call a script which enables/disables volumes
comparing dates with holiday dates to be run in advance of every backup
session.
Requires extensive scripting and does not allow for manual disablement
of volumes.
2. Move a week pool definition to system where every day has it's own Pool.
Not difficult. Just many extra lines in bacula-dir.conf and requires
catalog maintenance.
3. add to my config: Recycle Current Volume = yes

I think that is also the sequence of options which requires most work to
the least work.
Option 2 sounds the safest.
However on the subject of option 3:
Will it honor retention times:
If for instance tape "Monday" is inserted on Tuesday will Bacula error
and demand the Tuesday-volume/tape to be inserted or will it overwrite
the Monday tape although the Monday-volume-retentiontime is not yet reached?

Regards
Olaf