Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] support for tape library sun sl24 or sun sl48

2009-05-19 07:30:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] support for tape library sun sl24 or sun sl48
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Uwe Bartels <uwe.bartels AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 07:24:53 -0400
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Uwe Bartels <uwe.bartels AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> thanks for your answer.
> I'm pretty sure, that the drive is supported, but I have to check this.
> What about the tape library? I heard in bacula i have to do the programming
> for the 24 or 48 tape library. Is that true?
>
> Does bacula support multiple tape drives?
Yes. I use a 2 drive auto changer and I have 2 other drives along with
more than 1 disk storage.

> I'd like to have 2 tape drives for:
> - doing simultaneuously backup and restore
> - having the second tape drive in place if one the other fails.
You can do this. A single job will never use more than 1 drive but
independent jobs can.

> - being able to run daily backups with one drive and weekly,monthly,...
> backups on the other for creating an offsite backup

This is fine. You can even locate the 2nd tape drive offsite if you want.

> With amanda this works out, but I have to create 2 configuration and
> therefor having 2 catalogs. I want to have 1 catalog if possible.

You can do this with 1 catalog, however if you want independent jobs
you will probably need 2 job definitions. This way the offsite backups
will not be linked to the local backups.

John