Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] support for tape library sun sl24 or sun sl48

2009-05-19 07:47:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] support for tape library sun sl24 or sun sl48
From: Uwe Bartels <uwe.bartels AT gmail DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 13:43:16 +0200
Hi John,

thank you.
Sorry to ask again. Do you know if I have to do the programming for the tape library? Or is that functionality already in the bacula software. basicly in the feature list this seems to me included in the fuctionality, but i heard from someone else who checked bacula, that there is a lot of programming to do.

Uwe

2009/5/19 John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Uwe Bartels <uwe.bartels AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> thanks for your answer.
> I'm pretty sure, that the drive is supported, but I have to check this.
> What about the tape library? I heard in bacula i have to do the programming
> for the 24 or 48 tape library. Is that true?
>
> Does bacula support multiple tape drives?
Yes. I use a 2 drive auto changer and I have 2 other drives along with
more than 1 disk storage.

> I'd like to have 2 tape drives for:
> - doing simultaneuously backup and restore
> - having the second tape drive in place if one the other fails.
You can do this. A single job will never use more than 1 drive but
independent jobs can.

> - being able to run daily backups with one drive and weekly,monthly,...
> backups on the other for creating an offsite backup

This is fine. You can even locate the 2nd tape drive offsite if you want.

> With amanda this works out, but I have to create 2 configuration and
> therefor having 2 catalogs. I want to have 1 catalog if possible.

You can do this with 1 catalog, however if you want independent jobs
you will probably need 2 job definitions. This way the offsite backups
will not be linked to the local backups.

John