Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Configuration syntax problem

2009-05-12 10:37:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Configuration syntax problem
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:33:57 -0400
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>>> This is how it is documented to work in the manual.
>>>
>> I do admit that this is not easy to find because you have to read each
>> section and the bacula-dir.conf settings override bacula-sd.conf and
>> bacula-fd.conf settings for the case of 1 director.
>
> Then why don't we provide a sensible default in the example
> bacula-dir.conf, as we do in the example bacula-sd.conf?  Why doesn't
> the setting in bacula-sd.conf have a reasonable default if omitted?  The
> single-director case is the overwhelming majority of installations.
> Multiple-director installations and cases where concurrency is not
> desired are going to be the exceptions, not the rule.

The default settings is for no concurrency because that is the safest
and what most users will want. There was an example of concurrency in
the previous documentation but I am not sure where it went after the
split. I only read the manual when trying to answer user questions
being that I have had bacula in use at work and at home for over 5
years.

John