Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Configuration syntax problem

2009-05-12 10:00:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Configuration syntax problem
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:48:28 -0400
John Drescher wrote:
>> This is how it is documented to work in the manual.
>>
> I do admit that this is not easy to find because you have to read each
> section and the bacula-dir.conf settings override bacula-sd.conf and
> bacula-fd.conf settings for the case of 1 director.

Then why don't we provide a sensible default in the example
bacula-dir.conf, as we do in the example bacula-sd.conf?  Why doesn't
the setting in bacula-sd.conf have a reasonable default if omitted?  The
single-director case is the overwhelming majority of installations.
Multiple-director installations and cases where concurrency is not
desired are going to be the exceptions, not the rule.

I've yet to work my way through all of the updated documentation.  But
in what I have read so far, there's much that is difficult to find even
when you know it's got to be there somewhere and are actively looking
for it, and in the HTML version, there are many circular links that just
point back to themselves.

(Try variable expansion in the online HTML documentation, for one example.)

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.