Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape MTEOM error with Dell TL2000 (IBM TS3100)

2009-05-12 09:14:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape MTEOM error with Dell TL2000 (IBM TS3100)
From: Win Htin <win.htin AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:10:00 -0400
Hi Yvan,

If it is of any consolation, it took me one whole month to make Bacula
work but at the end of the day, it was time and effort well spent.

Now, back to the subject of your problems. It seems more to do with
the HW setting than Bacula. On the tape library, what settings do you
have? Following is what I have.

Library Mode : Random
Auto clean    : Disabled
Barcode label length Reported to host 6

Since my library is IBM original, the IBM web-based admin page might
be different from what you have for Dell.

At the OS level, use the generic st/nst drivers. DO NOT use the stuff
provided by IBM/Dell. Gave me nothing but head ache.

In my bacula-sd.conf file, I have the "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" set to
"2" since I have two tape drives.

In my bacula-dir.conf file, I have "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" set to "20".

Also, in my mtx-changer script, I added an extra function.

wait_for_drive() {
  i=0
  while [ $i -le 300 ]; do  # Wait max 300 seconds
    if mt -f $1 status | grep "${ready}" >/dev/null 2>&1; then
      break
    fi
    debug "Device $1 - not ready, retrying..."
    sleep 1
    i=`expr $i + 1`
  done
}

The function is called as follows which is inserted in part of the
"case $cmd in".

# Increase the sleep time if you have a slow device
# or remove the sleep and add the following:
      #sleep 15
      wait_for_drive $device    # Added this option WH. 2007-10-12
      exit $rtn
      ;;

HTH,

Win