Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Installing only 'bextract' on a machine.

2009-05-07 06:50:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Installing only 'bextract' on a machine.
From: Passionate Developer <passionatedeveloper AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>, Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 16:15:45 +0530

> Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 12:28:35 +0200
> From: al AT its-lehmann DOT de
> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Installing only 'bextract' on a machine.
>
> Hello,
>
> 07.05.2009 09:53, Passionate Developer wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to install only 'bextract' on a node?
>
> The easiest way might be to install from a package suitable to your
> operating system.
>
> You need the SD, which includes bextract.
>
> Otherwise, you'll have to install from source, i.e. ./configure &&
> make at least.

[PD] Configure & make will build all the components, Director, Storage & File Daemon. Is it not possible to build just SD?

> Obviously, you won't need the client or console programs, but for the
> SD programs to build you do need the database development packages.

[PD] So, in case I have Director & Storage on 2 different machines, the database development package should be on the machine having SD?

> It might even be possible to only build bextract, but if you knew how
> to find ot the reuired steps from the Makefile you wouldn't have
> asked :-)

Makefiles have always been a weak point of mine :-) I try to avoid learning more about it, but have to always go and look into it :-( now.

> > I have couple of Volumes created through Bacula. The Director & Storage daemons are down & out.
> > What I am left with is only the volumes created during backup.
> >
> > Can I restore the data from these volumes using 'bextract'?
>
> Yes.

[PD] We can extract only if database is in place. Correct? What if nothing is in place. I mean, is it possible to restore the
data to a new client using just the bextract binary & the Volumes created during backup.

> > I don't have any machine with Bacula Director installed.
>
> You need the SD.
>
> > Also I could not find a way to install only 'bextract' on the required machine to
> > restore from the available Volumes.
>
> Why can't you use the packages that are available through the
> bacula.org site?

[PD]I am considering a case where Bacula crashes & I am left with nothing but the volumes that were created during backups and 'bextract' binary. The database has also corrupted, so have to re-build the database too, which won't be possible. I cannot just copy the 'bextract' binary to some other machine & try to recover the data. But I want to do exactly that. Its a kind of bare metal recovery from the available volumes. I am not aware if it is possible.