Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Showing large backupset

2009-05-08 10:31:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Showing large backupset
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: "Holikar, Sachin \(ext\)" <sachin.holikar.ext AT siemens DOT com>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 09:59:37 -0400
Holikar, Sachin (ext) wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We have Bacula (2.2.7) running on a Fujitsu Tape Library. Yesterday we did a
> Full backup of couple of filesystems which are as shown below,
>
> Filesystem        Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/area         102G   89G   12G  89% /home
> /dev/area1        102G   88G   14G  87% /home1
> /dev/admin_area   102G   42G   16G  73% /adminhome
>
> The total used area of these 3 filesystems is , 219 GB. But when Bacula took
> lot of hours to finish this task unlike what we expected from the actual size
> of these filesystems. Also the logs showed almost double size. See this,
>
>  Scheduled time:         07-May-2009 22:05:00
>   Start time:             07-May-2009 23:51:52
>   End time:               08-May-2009 11:12:15
>   Elapsed time:           11 hours 20 mins 23 secs
>   FD Files Written:       979,123
>   SD Files Written:       979,123
>   FD Bytes Written:       396,473,448,721 (396.4 GB)
>   SD Bytes Written:       396,636,023,382 (396.6 GB)
>   Rate:                   712.0 KB/s
>   Software Compression:   None
>   VSS:                    no
>   Encryption:             no
>   Volume name(s):         AAD111
>   Volume Session Id:      7
>   Volume Session Time:    1241702596
>   Last Volume Bytes:      614,080,180,224 (614.0 GB)
>   Non-fatal FD errors:    0
>   SD Errors:              0
>   FD termination status:  OK
>   SD termination status:  OK
>   Termination:            Backup OK
>
> Could anyone possibly tell the reason why bacula shows/takes more amount of
> data/time than it actually should? Is there we are missing out?? Is there any
> way we can see/find out why this happened?Kindly tell.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Newbie

A quick calulation seems to show that it backed up your data about four times.
:)

Is it possible that you are also backing up /   or / and /home too?

If you have onefs = no (not the default), and you have also specified
partitions above the ones you listed, then Bacula will backup the data more
than once.

What you can do to begin to understand what might have happened is to first
find out what Bacula actually backed, what it thought it was supposed to
backup and then start troubleshooting from there.

You can tell bconsole to list all the files from that job by doing:

# bconsole <<EOF
@OUTPUT /tmp/jobname-file-listing.txt
list files jobid=JOBID
EOF

Then, you can look at /tmp/jobname-file-listing.txt to see what was backed up.
Yes, I realize there there are 979,123 files in the job, but it should be
obvious if the same file(s) are getting backed up more than once.

Also, you can tell bconsole to list all the files it expects to backup for
that job by sending it the estimate command with a "listing" option like so:

# bconsole <<EOF
@OUTPUT /tmp/jobname-estimate-listing.txt
estimate listing job=JobName
EOF

Looking at this file might also direct you to an idea of what is going on.

Hope this helps.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC