Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Unwarranted promotion to full

2009-05-07 06:49:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Unwarranted promotion to full
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 12:44:17 +0200
Hi,

07.05.2009 12:20, Mike Ruskai wrote:
>   On 05/07/2009 05:38, Graham Keeling wrote:
>> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 05:18:45AM -0400, Mike Ruskai wrote:
>>
>>> With Bacula 2.4.4, adding an exclusion to a file set causes an
>>> incremental backup to be promoted to full.
>>>
>>> Is this kind of thing fixed in 3.x?
>>>
>> Do you know about the 'Ignore FileSet Changes' option?
>>

> I do now, thanks.
>
> Of course, I don't know if it actually works.

It does - at least that's my experience.

>  After cancelling the
> superfluous full backup and adding that directive, Bacula still insists
> on doing a full backup.

That's because the change to "Ignore ..." is considered a file set
change, that takes place *before* the setting becomes valid.

>  This despite the fact that there are two valid
> full backups in the catalog still.

You could always tweak the catalog so that the latest full backup and
all backups based on it look like they were made with the new file
set. If you're comfortable with using a database tool like psql or
mysql, and you know what you do, that's a safe thing. Which still
implies you should make sure you have a valid catalog dump :-)

Arno

> Kodak, there's a perfect scanner to get the job done! With the NEW KODAK i700

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
Sandstr. 6, 49080 Osnabrück
www.its-lehmann.de