Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Installing only 'bextract' on a machine.

2009-05-08 05:00:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Installing only 'bextract' on a machine.
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 10:54:38 +0200
Hello,

07.05.2009 12:45, Passionate Developer wrote:

>  > Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 12:28:35 +0200
>  > From: al AT its-lehmann DOT de
>  > To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
>  > Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Installing only 'bextract' on a machine.
>  >
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > 07.05.2009 09:53, Passionate Developer wrote:
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Hi,
>  > >
>  > > Is it possible to install only 'bextract' on a node?
>  >
>  > The easiest way might be to install from a package suitable to your
>  > operating system.
>  >
>  > You need the SD, which includes bextract.
>  >
>  > Otherwise, you'll have to install from source, i.e. ./configure &&
>  > make at least.
>
> [PD] Configure & make will build all the components, Director, Storage &
> File Daemon. Is it not possible to build just SD?

SD only is not something I tried, but you can use the various
--enable-build-DAEMON options to ./configure.

>  > Obviously, you won't need the client or console programs, but for the
>  > SD programs to build you do need the database development packages.
>
> [PD] So, in case I have Director & Storage on 2 different machines, the
> database development package should be on the machine having SD?

On the machine where you build it.

>  >
>  > It might even be possible to only build bextract, but if you knew how
>  > to find ot the reuired steps from the Makefile you wouldn't have
>  > asked :-)
>
> Makefiles have always been a weak point of mine :-) I try to avoid
> learning more about it, but have to always go and look into it :-( now.
>  >
>  > > I have couple of Volumes created through Bacula. The Director &
> Storage daemons are down & out.
>  > > What I am left with is only the volumes created during backup.
>  > >
>  > > Can I restore the data from these volumes using 'bextract'?
>  >
>  > Yes.
>
> [PD] We can extract only if database is in place. Correct?

No.

> What if
> nothing is in place. I mean, is it possible to restore the
> data to a new client using just the bextract binary & the Volumes
> created during backup.

There's a chapter in the manual covering this...

>  >
>  > > I don't have any machine with Bacula Director installed.
>  >
>  > You need the SD.
>  >
>  > > Also I could not find a way to install only 'bextract' on the
> required machine to
>  > > restore from the available Volumes.
>  >
>  > Why can't you use the packages that are available through the
>  > bacula.org site?
>
> [PD]I am considering a case where Bacula crashes & I am left with
> nothing but the volumes that were created during backups and 'bextract'
> binary. The database has also corrupted, so have to re-build the
> database too, which won't be possible.

Why not? bscan does exist, and you should really have a database dump
somewhere safe.

> I cannot just copy the 'bextract'
> binary to some other machine

Again - why not? Obviously, the machines and OSes need to be similar,
and you need the required hardware, but apart from that, no problem
(installation from binary package doesn't do much else, actually...)

> & try to recover the data. But I want to do
> exactly that. Its a kind of bare metal recovery from the available
> volumes. I am not aware if it is possible.

Then you should read more of the manual :-)

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann