Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Director & Storage on different nodes

2009-05-06 13:08:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Director & Storage on different nodes
From: Amitsingh Pardesi <amitpardesi AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>, Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 17:02:30 +0000

> Subject: RE: [Bacula-users] Configuring Director & Storage on different nodes
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 22:50:49 +1000
> From: james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au
> To: amitpardesi AT hotmail DOT com; bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to configure Director & Storage daemon of Bacula System 3.0.0
> on two
> > different nodes (same Linux flavor, CentOS 5.2 to be precise). I have
> tried
> > with both Director & Storage on same machine. It works fine. Now I
> want to
> > move the storage daemon away from the Director. Is it possible to get
> the same
> > performance or are there any problems (not documented) that could
> occur.
>
> Performance should be the same. I do it on a Xen system where the sd is
> on Dom0 for performance reasons, but the director and the catalog is on
> a DomU for better flexibility (eg snapshot to test an upgrade etc).
>

> > I have tried to configure it following the steps specified in the
> Users guide.
> > I am able to fetch the status of each storage daemon. But am not able
> to start
> > any job. While starting the job, it fails to connect to Storage Daemon
> & hence
> > could not get the volume details. When checked the staus of the
> storage
> > daemon, its status is "OK".
> >
> > Could some one please help me in configuring this scenario or give me
> any
> > pointer to look at.
> >

> When the backup occurs, the director tells the fd to connect to the sd,
> including telling the fd what the hostname of the sd is. It's this
> direct connection that gives you good performance even if the director
> is not on the same host as the sd. It sounds like the connection from
> the fd to the sd is not working. Can the fd ping the sd by the same name
> that the director uses? Do you have any firewalls in the way that might
> be blocking connections/

All my nodes are in the same n/w domain. No firewall issue.

I have defined 3 storage daemons which are on the same node. I can ping the sd ip address from fd.

I have been trying to start the Job from the webmin module of Bacula. I do not get any error over there, but the page just hangs. When tried to execute the command from "bconsole" CLI it said that, "Could not connect to Storage Daemon"

I don't have the exact snapshot of the error now. Will re-generate the error tomo & mail it across.

Let me know, if you need me to send anything more.

My guess is, I have messed up something in the configuration file. Not able to find it :(

~Amit

MSN Quiz Test your skill and wits on this revered battleground of knowledge IMing with Windows Live Messenger just got better.