Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Director & Storage on different nodes

2009-05-06 10:33:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Director & Storage on different nodes
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 10:27:02 -0400
James Harper wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to configure Director & Storage daemon of Bacula System 3.0.0 on two
>>
>> different nodes (same Linux flavor, CentOS 5.2 to be precise).
> Performance should be the same. I do it on a Xen system where the sd is
> on Dom0 for performance reasons, but the director and the catalog is on
> a DomU for better flexibility (eg snapshot to test an upgrade etc).

Just curious. What performance problems keep you from running SD in a
domU? I have been experimenting with running SD in a PV domU, but
haven't decided if it makes sense. Not for performance reasons, but
because I have the daemons on a 2-node cluster using heartbeat for
failover. For Dir it works great. For SD, there are issues. SD auto
fails over and maintains the same IP, etc. The primary issue is that
failover still causes a running backup job to fail because the SD-FD TCP
session is broken and the daemons don't attempt to reconnect. Also,
after failing because the TCP session is broken, there is no way
currently to re-run failed jobs. I expect future versions of Bacula will
address those two issues, and Xen 3.4 brings virtual SCSI and SATA
devices to domUs. It will be very convenient to run SD in a domU, even
given the problem that the backup device(s) can only be attached to one
dom0 at a time and may have to be manually moved.