Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Director & Storage on different nodes

2009-05-06 13:06:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Director & Storage on different nodes
From: Amitsingh Pardesi <amitpardesi AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>, <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 17:00:32 +0000
Also, is it possible to retrieve the data from Bacula volumes, without using Bacula? I mean, for eg., if my Bacula system goes down & all I have been left out is just Volumes where backup was done. Can I restore the data to a new machine without re-installing Bacula.

'bextract' is not installed until and unless we install Bacula server. Or at least I could not figure out any way to install just bextract to retrieve the data from the volumes. Is there any rpm present which will just install the Bacula tools ( selective tools) without installing the Server part.

Thanks,
Amit

> Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 10:27:02 -0400
> From: jfisher AT pvct DOT com
> To: james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au
> CC: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Director & Storage on different nodes
>

> James Harper wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I want to configure Director & Storage daemon of Bacula System 3.0.0 on two
> >>
> >> different nodes (same Linux flavor, CentOS 5.2 to be precise).
> > Performance should be the same. I do it on a Xen system where the sd is
> > on Dom0 for performance reasons, but the director and the catalog is on
> > a DomU for better flexibility (eg snapshot to test an upgrade etc).
> >

> Just curious. What performance problems keep you from running SD in a
> domU? I have been experimenting with running SD in a PV domU, but
> haven't decided if it makes sense. Not for performance reasons, but
> because I have the daemons on a 2-node cluster using heartbeat for
> failover. For Dir it works great. For SD, there are issues. SD auto
> fails over and maintains the same IP, etc. The primary issue is that
> failover still causes a running backup job to fail because the SD-FD TCP
> session is broken and the daemons don't attempt to reconnect. Also,
> after failing because the TCP session is broken, there is no way
> currently to re-run failed jobs. I expect future versions of Bacula will
> address those two issues, and Xen 3.4 brings virtual SCSI and SATA
> devices to domUs. It will be very convenient to run SD in a domU, even
> given the problem that the backup device(s) can only be attached to one
> dom0 at a time and may have to be manually moved.

MSN Quiz Test your skill and wits on this revered battleground of knowledge IMing with Windows Live Messenger just got better.