Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent jobs when using 'one volume per job'

2009-04-16 07:56:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent jobs when using 'one volume per job'
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:50:17 +0200
Hi,

16.04.2009 09:04, James Harper wrote:
> I am using one disk volume per job, and I would like to run multiple
> backups at once. This would require the storage daemon to have multiple
> volumes open at once.

Right. More in Bacula terms, you'd need several storage devices.

> Is this supported?

More or less - again, a terminology issue.

> I would have guess not, but the
> docs say "... This can be avoided by having each simultaneous job write
> to a different volume", but doesn't say if each volume must be mounted
> under a different storage...

It's probably not written explicitly, but Bacula can only handle one
volume per storage device, because Bacula treats all volumes similar
to tapes.

So you need several storage devices, which all access the same set of
volume files. That can be done and most flexibility is ensured by
using them as a tape changer.

In Bacula, you'd do this with the "fake changer" approach or using
vtape. I've got no experience with the latter, but the former is
documented in the form of a sample script somewhere in the package.

Arno

> I'm using the current 3.0.0 from svn.
>
> Thanks
>
> James