Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Disk-to-disk backups and the scratch pool

2009-04-14 10:10:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Disk-to-disk backups and the scratch pool
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: James Chamberlain <jamesc AT exa DOT com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:04:57 -0400
James Chamberlain wrote:

>>> The basic problem for me is that I've hit the 8 TB file system size
>>> limit with ext3, and I don't have ext4 available to me yet.  With tape
>>> libraries, you can keep adding more tapes to increase the size of your
>>> pool.  With disk-based backups, once you've hit that 8 TB limit with
>>> ext3, you can't.  So if that's the problem I'm trying to solve, what
>>> are my options with Bacula?
>>>
>> I'm not sure if it will work, but you could try using symbolic links from one
>> file system to the volumes on the other file system(s)?
>>
>> __Martin
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion, and I considered it, but I don't think it'll
> work.  The Disk3 volumes are still going to be of a different media type
> than the Disk0 volumes.

The disk autochanger approach should still work. You would have to have
multiple autochangers, since volumes associated with any one autochanger
will all have the same media type, but there is nothing preventing that.

As for the file system limitations, I'm not sure I understand the
problem. Why do the backup volumes have to be on ext3? They should be
independent of your data file systems. LVM could be used to partition
storage for the backup volumes if needed. Putting the backup volumes on
a XFS file system would increase the limit from 8 TB to 8 EB and would
certainly be more efficient with large 50 GB files.