Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Disk-to-disk backups and the scratch pool

2009-04-14 10:57:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Disk-to-disk backups and the scratch pool
From: James Chamberlain <jamesc AT exa DOT com>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:53:48 -0400
On Apr 14, 2009, at 10:04 AM, Josh Fisher wrote:
> James Chamberlain wrote:

>>> I'm not sure if it will work, but you could try using symbolic
>>> links from one
>>> file system to the volumes on the other file system(s)?
>>>
>>> __Martin
>>>

>> Thanks for the suggestion, and I considered it, but I don't think
>> it'll work.  The Disk3 volumes are still going to be of a different
>> media type than the Disk0 volumes.
>
> The disk autochanger approach should still work. You would have to
> have multiple autochangers, since volumes associated with any one
> autochanger will all have the same media type, but there is nothing
> preventing that.

Is it possible to switch to this approach without dumping my existing
backups and starting over from scratch?

> As for the file system limitations, I'm not sure I understand the
> problem. Why do the backup volumes have to be on ext3? They should
> be independent of your data file systems. LVM could be used to
> partition storage for the backup volumes if needed. Putting the
> backup volumes on a XFS file system would increase the limit from 8
> TB to 8 EB and would certainly be more efficient with large 50 GB
> files.

The problem is not that they have to be on ext3, but that they already
are.  I can't afford to take my backup system down and be without a
safety net for a couple of weeks.  If I ditched my existing backups
and started from scratch, it would take that long to do the fulls.  If
I used convertfs to do the job for me, based on the time estimates
I've seen (20 mins for 240 MB, "days" for hundreds of GB), I'd be
looking at the same sort of time frame.

Also, it's a minor point, but on 32-bit systems, xfs is limited to 16
TB, not 8 EB.

Thanks,

James