Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula hang waiting for storage

2008-12-04 12:20:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula hang waiting for storage
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 12:17:16 -0500
> From: Julien Cigar <jcigar@ul...> - 2008-12-04 16:14

>> > I posted the full output on the FreeBSD ML some times ago :
>> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2008-November/003706.html
>>
>> Is that Ultra or LVD?
>>
>> Ultra 160/320 single-ended scsi have maximum cable lengths in the region
>> of 60-90cm.
>>
>> LVD is several metres.
>>

> I think it's an Ultra, there are only two connectors on it (plus one to
> connect to the SCSI card). Actually it's configured as this :
> SCSI CARD ====== TAPE DRIVE ====== TERMINATOR
>
> Just to be sure that everything is compatible (as I'm not a SCSI
> expert), the tape drive has the following interface :
> - Embedded SCSI interface (Ultra160LVD, Single-ended or Low Voltage
> differential)
>
> but the SCSI cards I tested are not U160, the last one was one from
> QLogic :
> - QLA1020/104x Fast-Wide-SCSI "Fast!SCSI IQ" Host Adapter'
>
> and at boot it's detected as :
>
> sa0 at isp0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> sa0: <SONY SDX-700C 0103> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
> sa0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 8, 16bit)
>
> I hope everything is compatible (U160 vs SCSI 2 ?)
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Julien

After noting that my cable length is quite a bit longer than 90cm I
checked around... Just a minor nit-pick...Ultra 160's cable length is
12m and it is LVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI#cite_ref-length_7-0

But anyway, one shouldn't try to drive a LVD peripheral with a single
ended SCSI controller, as Alan pointed out in another post.