Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula hang waiting for storage

2008-12-04 14:04:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula hang waiting for storage
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: jcigar AT ulb.ac DOT be
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 19:02:49 GMT

> > > Ok.. good to know.
> > >
> > > To configure the SD I just did a "mt -f /dev/nsa0 geteotmodel", it
> > > replied with 2 filemarks at EOT and then I followed the instructions of
> > > the port maintainer (as I have almost no idea how to adjust most of
> > > those parameters).
> >
> > Yes, I have to use "mt -f /dev/sa1.ctl seteotmodel 1" to initialize the
> > drive.
> > This sometimes needs to be repeated after inserting the first tape after
> > booting, though it is persistent after that.
> >

> This may be a stupid question but, how do you know if you need to set
> EOT to one or two filemarks ? Apparently this one depends of the
> hardware, but I haven't seen anything in my tape manual for that ..

It is difficult to predict (e.g. a DDS4 drive needs 2 marks on the same
machine as the LTO-1).

I would try it with 1 mark and use that if it passes btape's tests.  Use 2
marks only if 1 mark doesn't work.

It also depends on whether any other program uses the tape drive and need some
specific configuration.

__Martin