Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup shifting jobs

2008-05-30 09:34:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup shifting jobs
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 15:34:13 +0200
Stephan Jennewein schrieb:
>>> director:  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
>>> storage: Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
>> this is in bacula-dir.conf, right?
> Yes, this is in my bacula-dir.conf.
>
>>> client1: no Maximum Concurrent Jobs Definition
>>>     all jobs have no Maximum Concurrent Jobs Definition
>> default for client resource in bacula-dir.conf  "Maximum Concurrent
>> Jobs" is 1.
>>
>>> client2: same here
>>> client3: same here
>>> client4: Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
>>>     jobs no definition
>>> client5:  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
>>>     jobs no definition
>>> client6: nothing here
>>> client7: Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
>>>
>>>     jobs no definition
>>>
>>> i cannot post the bacula-fd.conf because the clients dont belong to me. i
>>> only realize the backup server in our institute.
>> in bacula-fd.con the default "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" is 2 (1 for data
>> / 1 for "status" requests).
>>
>> the other entries seem to be ok. the My understandig is, that the
>> limiting "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" is the one from bacula-dir.conf in
>> resrouce storage with 10 concurrent connections if you changed the
>> default in bacula-fd.conf.
>
> maybe but this not my point. i want that the jobs are scheduled automatically
> in an alternating way, because otherwise the scheduled jobs would wait for
> the first computer with more than one job. that's why i want something like:
> computer 1 - job 1
> computer 2 - job 1
> computer 3 - job 1
> computer 2 - job 2
> computer 3 - job 2
> computer 1 - job 2
> and so on.
> instead of
> computer 1 - job 1
> computer 1 - job 2
> computer 1 - job 3
> computer 2 - job 1
> computer 2 - job 2
> computer 2 - job 3
> computer 3 - job 1
> computer 3 - job 2
> computer 3 - job 3
> thats what happen at the moment.
> increasing the 'maximum concurrent jobs' in the bacula-fd.conf would not fix
> the problem because the harddrive isn't faster just because i want to run
> more jobs parallel. so i only can parallelize if i can dynamically run jobs
> of different computers at the same time.

so, i don't know why it isn't working like you expect it.

i've got 4 servers and they backup in parallel one job per server.

bacula-dir.conf
   Director: "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" = 10
   Storage: "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" = 4

Anyway you have set "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" in bacula-dir for
client4,5,7 as you want only start 1 job per computer?

And the backup jobs share write to a volume in the same pool?

- Thomas