Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup shifting jobs

2008-05-24 18:02:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup shifting jobs
From: Stephan Jennewein <xt3 AT cccmz DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 00:02:19 +0200
On Saturday 24 May 2008 01:34:11 pm Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Stephan Jennewein schrieb:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> >> maybe:
> >> a) change the priorities of the jobs. the jobs that should run togheter
> >> should get the same priority. Remember: different priorities can't run
> >> concurrent.
> >
> > This could be a solution, but isn't there anything more automatic because
> > I will get a lot of jobs in the nearer future so I have to choose for
> > each job which priority I want. As I thought priority should reflect the
> > importance of the backup of a computer than to loadbalance.
> >
> >> b) change the "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" in the Client section of
> >> bacula-dir.conf to 1 (or whatever you like)
> >
> > I don't think this would work because the second job is waiting for the
> > first one. That's what happening at the moment.
>
> hmm.. i understood, that you want to have only one job per
> client/machine run at one time. but after rereading i see that isn't
> what you like to achiev. so you want to start at least 2 jobs per pc at
> a time?
What i want is to have always as much jobs from different computers running as
i have tape drives so i get the best throughput. at the moment i only have
two drives but maybe i will get more soon. so it should be a flexible
solution, but i want this with a minimum of schedules. otherwise i have to
write a lot of schedules which will start one minute after another.

> post your "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" definitions in bacula-dir.conf (in
> resources director,client,storage and job), bacula-fd.conf  and
> bacula-sd.conf to see if it's correct allover the different places. And
> if you use "Maximum Volume Jobs" also post that.
director:  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
storage: Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
client1: no Maximum Concurrent Jobs Definition
        all jobs have no Maximum Concurrent Jobs Definition
client2: same here
client3: same here
client4: Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
        jobs no definition
client5:  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
        jobs no definition
client6: nothing here
client7: Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
        jobs no definition

i cannot post the bacula-fd.conf because the clients dont belong to me. i only
realize the backup server in our institute.

stephan