Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup from VMWare

2008-05-29 22:39:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup from VMWare
From: Gregory Orange <gregory.orange AT metoceanengineers DOT com>
To: Brian Debelius <bdebelius AT intelesyscorp DOT com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:38:38 +0800
I guess we cheat - we pause the VM for the duration of the backup, and
simply back up the host. This results in a complete system backup of the
VM, and we get full speed backup of a few large files each night. We can
do this happily because none of our VMs are very large - 10GB at most -
so not too much tape space is used. Our large data set (~3TB) is not
virtualised.
When the host is upgraded, or the VMs are moved somewhere other than
that SLES9 box[1], we'll have a newer version of LVM such that we can
pause the VM, create an LVM snapshot, resume the VM, perform a raw
backup of the snapshot, then delete the snapshot. Much less downtime for
the VM.

[1] For some reason, we can't currently delete LVM snapshots without a
lot of work including host reboots. This would require huge disk space
wastage or unacceptable reboots!

Brian Debelius wrote:
> I've never achieved more then about 10MBs from Server running under SUSE
> 9.  I am moving things to ESX right now.  I have not benchmarked the
> raid yet, but a single disk was around 45MBs
>
> Keith Sudbury wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I have a CentOS box running a LTO-3 SCSI drive and I am currently
>> getting abour 7 / 8 MB/s from a Windows 2003SBS machine running on the
>> CentOS box. This is the only VM on the box and the server has no load.
>>
>> The box is a new Dell server of reasonable spec and has the Vmware is
>> running in "bridged" mode for networking, the drive are SATA and
>> confisured in a RAID5 (with a real hw card). I'm not expecting a rocket
>> but 7mb/s ???
>>
>> I am wondering if any of you have experianced any thing simular?
>>

>> Many Thanks

      Gregory Orange             Phone: +61 8 9387 7955
     System Administator            Fax: +61 8 9387 6686
    RPS MetOcean                        http://www.rpsmetocean.com.au
   System Administrators Guild of Australia  http://www.sage-au.org.au