Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup from VMWare

2008-05-29 09:22:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup from VMWare
From: Keith Sudbury <keith AT netzensolutions DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:22:54 +0100
Robert LeBlanc wrote:
Bacula is very I/O intensive and right now that is not a very strong
point of virtualization. We run almost entirely VMware ESX here. When
backing up 5 machines at once I've noticed very poor performance as
well. When we pulled the SD off of a VM and onto a physical machine it
helped out a ton.

VMware server is far worse when it comes to I/O. I run it at home with
Bacula and when you peg a VM with disk activity it just crawls. The
other thing that you have to remember is that networking is all
virtualized and that creates a lot of overhead. Since each machine has
its 'own' adapter, and to keep things isolated, TCP offloading can not
be used. That means the CPU has to do all the networking.

VMs are really good at CPU and memory intensive workloads, disk and
network loads are getting better, but it requires the collaboration of
the hardware vendors to integrate virtualization into their products
like the CPUs.

Robert