Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup from VMWare

2008-05-29 09:34:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup from VMWare
From: "Robert LeBlanc" <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 07:34:00 -0600

Sorry perhaps I was not very clear in my oringal msg, I have a CentOS host machine with a tape drive attached, running the director and the SD. There is a single VM guest (MS SBS2003) running on VMware server running a FD.

Does this make more sense now?

You will still have the performance hit because the VM (Windows machine) has its disk and network virtualized. With ESX the guest is able to sit closer to the hardware where VMware server it is farther away through more Linux system calls. The principle is the same, you are achieving about the same speed I did when I had the SD virtualized with 5 VMs being backed up simultaneously on ESX with 30 FC drives, and 15 SATA drives. Your speed is reasonable for what I would expect you are running.

Robert