Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape Drive in Windows Server 2003 accesing from Bacula

2008-05-28 05:23:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape Drive in Windows Server 2003 accesing from Bacula
From: Peter Buschman <plblists AT iotk DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:22:35 +0200
At 09:33 28.5.2008, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>Hi,
>
>28.05.2008 05:32, Reynier Perez Mira wrote:
> > Hi:
> > I still Reading the doc and now I found this
> "6.5 Testing Compatibility with Your Tape
> Drive". I have Bacula installed in a Server PC
> with Linux but this PC haven't the Tape Drive.
> This are attached to a Server with Windows 2003
> R2. I'm asking if I can save from Bacula to
> this Tape Drives, maybe mounting it as a
> resource or something else. Is this a madness or it can be done?
>
>You can do this by having an SD run on the windows machine.
>
>Windows as an SD or DIR server is quite reliable, but not "officially"
>supported due to lack of a supporting developer, though.
>
>If possible, I'd attach the tape drive(s) you need to a linux or unix box.

Another option would be to run the free version
of vmware server, create a small virtual machine
running Linux, and pass-through the tape device.
Without a GUI desktop running, a VM need not take
up that much memory. Since vmware allows the
creation of fast virtual networks between the
host and the virtual machine, Windows can back-up
through the virtual machine to the tape.

Arno's way is the best though ;-)

--PLB