Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Pool + Scheduling Configuration problem

2008-05-28 03:42:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Pool + Scheduling Configuration problem
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:42:04 +0200
Hi,

27.05.2008 12:59, Steffen Knauf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i need help to configure bacula.
> I'll use bacula for backuping large Partitions. The created backupfile
> of each Partion is approximately 1 TB (Elapsed Time with GZIP1 is 1
> day). It is only possible to create one full backup for each partition
> (i don't have more free space). After the first full backup i use an
> daily increm. Backup. 15 Minutes before the next Full Backup starts
> (Scheduling), the volume should be marked as purged (so i can overwrite
> the old full backup volume with the new one).
> It's quite plain to me that's not perfect  ;)

Definitely... but as long as you know what you're doing...

> I don't find a Scheduling pararmeter, so that the Full backup run every
> 4 Weeks on Friday evening.

That's not easily possible.

You can have the job run, for example, every first friday in a month
and use a volume retention time of 27 days. As long as only the full
backups go to that pool that should work. If your incrementals go to
the same pool, though, they would prune the full backup while it's
still needed. Of course you have to avoid other pruning triggers, too.

To have exactly four weeks as a backup cycle you need a longish but
simple schedule with lots of run= lines.

>I try some configurations, but all of them
> don't work. Perhaps someone has an idea, which is the best solution for
> this.

The best solution is to add more disk space first.

> my pool Config.:
>

> Pool {
>   Name = Full_Lib
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Recycle = yes
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Volume Retention = 27 days 23 h 45 min

That's too long because the retention time starts to get counted down
only after the job finishes. If your job runs *exactly* one day, "26
days 23 hours 45 min" would work.

>   Maximum Volumes = 1
>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
>   LabelFormat = "Vol_full_lib"

I can't state it often enough - a setup where you can only allow one
full backup is really a problem. If setting this up is your job I
would make it very clear to your boss that your backups will likely be
useless in case anything breaks, i.e. when you really need them.

If it's your home system, save some money for some big disk - with a
bit of tweaking, you can have Bacula use a number of external disk
drives as storage.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann