Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bacula tls

2008-05-23 18:29:25
Subject: [Bacula-users] bacula tls
From: "Bachman Kharazmi" <bahkha AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 00:29:12 +0200
Hi, I've been playing with tls the last week which is somewhat poorly
documented :(  Finally I found a good resource here:
http://www.devco.net/pubwiki/Bacula/TLS/

Anyhow it's up and running now. But I still have a few questions.

-Is it normal that there's a multiple performance decrease running
with tls using certs? I had a transfer rate of only 1.5MB/s backing
from the localhost fd which is whey less than it what it would be
compared to uncrypted backup. The fd process consumed ~50-80% cpu
which is quite alot. The host is running version 2.2.8 and is a
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz with 512MB ram and 500G seagate
disk. The used cert was selfsigned and generated using "openssl genrsa
-des3 -out server.key 1024". Would another cert type possibly help?

-Does the director/sd support semi mode clients, where I mean both FDs
with and without encryption? It might for instance be good to have
encrypted transfers from clients abroad, which no encryption for local
LAN hosts.
In such case, what configuration would be needed, "TLS Require = yes"
set to 'no' in director.conf for both director, storage and fd:s?

-Last question is about restore:
restore -> '5' shows these available clients.
Defined Clients:
     1: backup-fd
     2: mybackup-fd

But when I grep through /etc/bacula/ for 'backup-fd' I can't find any
matches. I've configured 'mybackup-fd' in my configs, both dir and fd
configs.
Any ideas from where it picks the first listed client above?

grateful to all hints! /Bachman