Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Copy Jobs Selection testing

2008-05-22 16:12:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Copy Jobs Selection testing
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 23:12:30 +0300
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:52:57PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Thursday 22 May 2008 20:48:58 Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> > > Yes, that is correct.  At the moment the trunk SVN is quite stable.
> >
> > OK, Nice. If I upgrade from 2.2.8 are there database (mysql) schema
> > upgrades needed? Or should I start with a fresh 2.3 database/tables..
>
> I believe that there is an upgrade, but I also believe that it is mandatory
> only if you have enabled the new Statistics capability  (there is a new
> table).

OK.

> Eric might be able to comment on this.  I've seen the code go in but did not
> look at the details.   I do see that the DB version number has not been
> updated, so it will most likely work with an existing DB.  All our tests
> start from scratch, but in the last two weeks before release, we test
> upgrading and running with older DBs and older daemons.

Yep. Maybe I'll just start with the new DB so at least that shouldn't give
me problems.

> Theoretically the new version will work with older clients, but that is
> probably untested, and there *are* some enhancements so you may need to
> upgrade clients.  However, you must at a minimum upgrade both the DIR and SD.

I was thinking of using 2.2.8 on clients.. if that works. I'll find out :)

> > > The only thing to remember is that this is development code and it can
> > > occasionally get broken, so you must *very* carefully test.   There are a
> > > *lot* of new features that we have not documented yet.  A partial list of
> > > them is included at the top of the file "technotes-2.3", which is in the
> > > main source directory.
> >
> > Yep. I'll try this tomorrow or next week.
> >
> > > If you want to see how it has been doing in the nightly regression tests,
> > > go to the following link:
> > >
> > >    http://regress.bacula.org:8081/Bacula/Dashboard/
> > >
> > > Then click on the << symbol next to the word "Nightly ..." that will show
> > > you the previous night's regression runs.  Both the Branch-2.2 tests and
> > > the trunk tests show up, so you need to look for the tests on version
> > > 2.3.xx-date where currently xx is 21 and date is 21May08 (i.e.
> > > 2.3.21-21May08).  The 2.2. branch tests are currently listed as
> > > 2.2.10-b4-21May08.
> > >
> > > By clicking on the << you can go back to previous nightly testing.
> >
> > Seems to be pretty OK.. :) You've done good job!
> >
> > About restores.. is it still totally experimental? Will Bacula get confused
> > when it finds the "same" job from two different places?
>
> I don't know the answer, but according to Ulrich who has tried it, the
> restore
> works at least with what you wrote to disk.  I don't guarantee there won't be
> problems, and I haven't yet worked out how you could restore from your tapes
> (assuming you backup to disk then Copy to tape).  Before the official
> release, we will work out something -- you *might* be able to specify a
> Storage device even in the current code?????

OK.

Usually you want to restore from disk when the backups are still on the
disk (faster), but when they're purged from the disk, then obviously restore
from tapes..

> We would appreciate feedback, but sorry cannot spend more than an absolute
> minimum of time on giving help or getting you out of trouble.  However, we
> will take note of all your feedback.
>

> Good luck,

Thanks :)

I'll let you know how it goes..