Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Copy Jobs Selection testing

2008-05-22 15:52:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Copy Jobs Selection testing
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 21:52:57 +0200
On Thursday 22 May 2008 20:48:58 Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 07:16:27PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 May 2008 18:41:59 Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > > Hello Bacula developers!
> > >
> > > I just joined the bacula-devel list so I'm sorry that I can't reply to
> > > the original thread.. I read the discussion from here:
> > >
> > > http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> > > net/msg02404
> > >.htm l
> > >
> > > My original mail to bacula-users:
> > > http://www.nabble.com/Replacing-Arcserve-with-Bacula%2C-disk-staging-sp
> > >ooli ng-configuration-tt17404323.html
> > >
> > > So yeah.. I'd like to test this feature too.
> > >
> > > Is there something special required? Just install the SVN version of
> > > Bacula and I'm ready to go.. ?
> >
> > Yes, that is correct.  At the moment the trunk SVN is quite stable.
>
> OK, Nice. If I upgrade from 2.2.8 are there database (mysql) schema
> upgrades needed? Or should I start with a fresh 2.3 database/tables..

I believe that there is an upgrade, but I also believe that it is mandatory
only if you have enabled the new Statistics capability  (there is a new
table).

Eric might be able to comment on this.  I've seen the code go in but did not
look at the details.   I do see that the DB version number has not been
updated, so it will most likely work with an existing DB.  All our tests
start from scratch, but in the last two weeks before release, we test
upgrading and running with older DBs and older daemons.

Theoretically the new version will work with older clients, but that is
probably untested, and there *are* some enhancements so you may need to
upgrade clients.  However, you must at a minimum upgrade both the DIR and SD.

> > The only thing to remember is that this is development code and it can
> > occasionally get broken, so you must *very* carefully test.   There are a
> > *lot* of new features that we have not documented yet.  A partial list of
> > them is included at the top of the file "technotes-2.3", which is in the
> > main source directory.
>
> Yep. I'll try this tomorrow or next week.
>
> > If you want to see how it has been doing in the nightly regression tests,
> > go to the following link:
> >
> >    http://regress.bacula.org:8081/Bacula/Dashboard/
> >
> > Then click on the << symbol next to the word "Nightly ..." that will show
> > you the previous night's regression runs.  Both the Branch-2.2 tests and
> > the trunk tests show up, so you need to look for the tests on version
> > 2.3.xx-date where currently xx is 21 and date is 21May08 (i.e.
> > 2.3.21-21May08).  The 2.2. branch tests are currently listed as
> > 2.2.10-b4-21May08.
> >
> > By clicking on the << you can go back to previous nightly testing.
>
> Seems to be pretty OK.. :) You've done good job!
>
> About restores.. is it still totally experimental? Will Bacula get confused
> when it finds the "same" job from two different places?

I don't know the answer, but according to Ulrich who has tried it, the restore
works at least with what you wrote to disk.  I don't guarantee there won't be
problems, and I haven't yet worked out how you could restore from your tapes
(assuming you backup to disk then Copy to tape).  Before the official
release, we will work out something -- you *might* be able to specify a
Storage device even in the current code?????

We would appreciate feedback, but sorry cannot spend more than an absolute
minimum of time on giving help or getting you out of trouble.  However, we
will take note of all your feedback.

Good luck,

Kern