Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Synthetic Full backup or Consolidation

2008-05-19 00:45:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Synthetic Full backup or Consolidation
From: "Michael Short" <mdshort AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 23:44:56 -0500
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
wrote:
> hmm... "move" operation on synthetic backup means, that the last full
> backup will be purged/pruned? so, all diff/inc backup jobs will be
> worthless for a full restore before the new synthetic full backup? For
> my case i have in mind, i would never use such a "move" operation on
> synthetic backup. but there may be other scenarios around.

I believe this feature would be useful to reclaim disk space occupied
by expired catalog entries. In bandwidth limited environments, it is
almost impossible to perform a reliable full backup of a bacula
client. In these situations, I have used an external drive to collect
the initial full backup and incremental can continue over the network.
Unfortunately, this solution is very resource intensive (requiring
human intervention and a long trip to off site locations) so we avoid
this as much as possible.

These new features will significantly reduce the cost of maintaining
our current backup solution.

Sincerely,
--
Michael Short