Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Synthetic Full backup or Consolidation

2008-05-18 06:39:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Synthetic Full backup or Consolidation
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 12:38:41 +0200
hi kern

> I am considering putting a first cut of job consolidation into the next
> version of Bacula -- see item #3 on the y, Projects list "Merge multiple
> backups (Synthetic Backup or Consolidation)"

this is nice. :)

> I'm considering the possibility of implementing it as a sort of sub-option of
> Migration and Copy jobs.  The advantage is that virtually all the necessary
> code exists, and by using Migration and Copy, the Consolidate can either be
> a "move" or a "copy" operation.

hmm... "move" operation on synthetic backup means, that the last full
backup will be purged/pruned? so, all diff/inc backup jobs will be
worthless for a full restore before the new synthetic full backup? For
my case i have in mind, i would never use such a "move" operation on
synthetic backup. but there may be other scenarios around.

> The other way of doing this is to define a new Type called Consolidate (or
> Optimized Consolidate) and write new code.
>
> The advantage that I see of doing it as a migrate or copy job is that later
> we
> may extend the code to permit additional features.  For example, I could
> imagine that one might want to consolidate only part of the jobs (say all the
> incremental jobs, ...).

so i would say option 2 is more future proof than option 1. but i'm not
a coder, don't know how much more work this is to implement and maintain
option 2.

- Thomas