Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] debian/ssl

2008-05-16 09:55:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] debian/ssl
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 09:55:05 -0400

Frank Sweetser wrote:
> Florian Heigl wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> as most are probably aware debian had a little "Oops" concerning
>> openssl
>> (http://wiki.debian.org/SSLkeys#head-49a0007d742a0fcc4742d630456fecc08016fbb8).
>> unfortunately there is no mention of Bacula in their wiki so far.
>>
>> Does anyone know if
>> - one should bother redoing the Bacula SD/DIR/FD/Console pass strings?
>> (they're done using openssl, and so far i thought they look quite
>> random
>>

> >From what I can tell, the MD5 strings *should* be safe.  That said, I
> certainly wouldn't recommend against updating them.

You can't just "see" whether they are random or not (unless you're some
really special kind of idiot savant ;-)  ). It takes a
statistical/mathematical analysis to see the patterns and/or repetition.
This can be programmed, and, indeed, it is said that there are kits "out
there" for doing this.

The security experts here (at UMass) have told us that we need to scrap
and regenerate everything after updating to fix the problem.

>> - someone already made scripts for regenerating the SSL/TLS keys for
>> people that use this for bacula
>>

> Really, you're just going through the same process that you used in the first
> place to generate the certificates.  Just pretend that they all expired at the
> same time, and regenerate them.
>
>> - people who used SD encryption might want to migrate / re-encrypt as
>> this might (i dont know!) be more susceptible for the weakness
>>

> Absolutely.  Unless I've completely misunderstood it, data encryption still
> uses openssl created certificates to secure the data, so they will be subject
> to the same risk.
>
> In other words, this vulnerability puts any encrypted Bacula volumes at risk.

Note that it includes any Debian derived systems, such as Ubuntu, as
well. And, it includes workstations that happen to be susceptible and
that use keys to log into your server, thus making your server
susceptible whether it is Debian derived or not.

I've put the notice that was sent to us at the end of this just in case
anyone wants their details and links.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator