Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Q: Rename a client in the DB

2008-05-16 04:18:05
Subject: [Bacula-users] Q: Rename a client in the DB
From: "Robert Wirth" <Robert.Wirth AT dfki DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 10:17:42 +0200
Hi!

Maybe this is no new question, but I didn't find anything about it
in the archives.

Q: Is it possible to rename a client in the Bacula-DB?

The case is:  here, client names correspond to host names.  Now, a host
name has to be changed, so it's client name would also change.  Then it
would be a new client for Bacula, and Bacula would upgrade the next
incremental backup to a full backup, what is completely needless
(and bad because of 4 TB data stored there).

Of course, I could keep the client name regardless of what's going on
with the host name.  But then I would break the naming convention.
And that's bad in an environment of about 100 Bacula clients...

A better solution would be to rename all entries in the DB from
"oldclient-fd" to "newclient-fd".  The next incremental of "newclient-fd"
would just be an appendix to existing data.

Best regards,

        Robert

++    German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence    ++
Dipl.Inf. Robert Wirth,Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3,66123 Saarbruecken
@office: +49-681-302-5078, or -5572 +++ @fax: +49-681-302-5020
mailto:Robert.Wirth AT dfki DOT de ++++++++ http://www.dfki.de/~wirth
- Firmensitz Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschaeftsfuehrung (executive board):
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
- Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats (supervisory board chairman):
- Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes

Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313