Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] debian/ssl

2008-05-16 01:07:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] debian/ssl
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 07:07:21 +0200
hi florian

Florian Heigl schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> as most are probably aware debian had a little "Oops" concerning
> openssl
> (http://wiki.debian.org/SSLkeys#head-49a0007d742a0fcc4742d630456fecc08016fbb8).
> unfortunately there is no mention of Bacula in their wiki so far.

another thing is, that the debian package doesn't ship anymore with
openssl support because of licesing issues.

> Does anyone know if
> - one should bother redoing the Bacula SD/DIR/FD/Console pass strings?
> (they're done using openssl, and so far i thought they look quite
> random
> - someone already made scripts for regenerating the SSL/TLS keys for
> people that use this for bacula
> - people who used SD encryption might want to migrate / re-encrypt as
> this might (i dont know!) be more susceptible for the weakness
>
> Reading the "backupbox" sections advice
> "start from scratch, destroying all trace of the backed up data, and
> take other measures to mitigate the exposure of your secrets" I feel
> there might be reason to worry.

as far as i read about this security update on debian, there is only a
"small" amount of different keys or this guy sais key is dependent of
the process id
(http://chdir.org/~nico//blog/posts/Pire_que_je_croyais.../). With a
workstation you will be able to compute all the possible keys.

so yes, regenerate all your keys and somehow reencrypt the data if
you're in need of the encryption security.

- Thomas