Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bconsole curses problems

2008-05-16 05:20:54
Subject: [Bacula-users] bconsole curses problems
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 11:20:38 +0200
This has been discussed here in the past, but never got to a real
conclusion:

The display behaviour of line editing in bconsole is very dependent
on the terminal emulation it's running in. Some work fine, for example
PuTTY, while others, like the Linux console, are completely unusable.
A special case is the gnome-terminal which is usable in full screen
but not in a normal window. I tried to influence the behaviour through
the TERM environment variable but that seems to be ignored completely.
Not even "export TERM=dumb" made a difference.

On closer observation it appears that bconsole ist doing mightily
complicated things with terminal control sequences, scrolling up and
down and pushing the cursor around when all I want to do is type or
erase a character. Somewhere in this elaborate cursor dance an
extraneous line feed or scroll up slips in, and everything that
follows goes to the wrong place.

I don't know the reason for that elaborate way of controlling the
terminal, but personally I would prefer the text console to be kept
as simple as possible so that it "just works" in most setups,
regardless of buggy ANSI emulations.

Thanks,
Tilman

--