Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup help

2008-05-14 09:36:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup help
From: Wes Hardaker <hardaker AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Rich <yahoo.rich AT bladeracing DOT com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 06:35:47 -0700

R> Wes, what media are you using RW?

Yeah, +RW.

R> Do you have Bacula set to write more than 1 job to a media.

Yes.  With everything I'm backing up on the machine in question (all
other devices back up to the main machines disk, but that machine backs
up it's files to it's DVD) I put in one disk about every 5 days or so
(unless I take a whole lot of pictures).

It often writes about 20-ish parts to the disk.

R> What limits if any as far as Max Volume Size are you using?

I don't have a mx volume size at all.  I have max part sizes of 800M.

SD settings:

  Device {
    Name = "DVDStorage"
    Media Type = DVD
    Archive Device = /dev/dvd1
    LabelMedia = yes;            # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
    Random Access = Yes;
    AutomaticMount = yes;        # when device opened, read it
    RemovableMedia = yes;
    AlwaysOpen = no;
    MaximumPartSize = 800M;
    RequiresMount = yes;
    MountPoint = /big/bacula/dvd;
    MountCommand = "/usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount -t iso9660 -o ro %a %m";
    UnmountCommand = "/usr/bin/sudo /bin/umount %m";
    SpoolDirectory = "/big/bacula/bacula-dvd-spool";
    WritePartCommand = "/etc/bacula/dvd-handler %a write %e %v"
    FreeSpaceCommand = "/etc/bacula/dvd-handler %a free"
    Device Type = DVD
  }

and Dir settings:

  Storage {
    Name = DVD
    Address = XXXX          # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
    SDPort = 9103
    Password = "Ha"
    Device = DVDStorage
    Media Type = DVD
  }
  Pool {
    Name = DVDPool2
    LabelFormat = "BaculaDVDTwo"
    Pool Type = Backup
    Recycle = yes               # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
    AutoPrune = yes             # Prune expired volumes
    Volume Retention = 61 days
    Storage = DVD
    # Maximum Volume Bytes = #
  }

So as you can see, nothing fancy and it's working.

I did have issues even burning RO disks on that particular (cheap)
drive.  So I generally never considered it for backups.  It would only
burn one successfully on each boot.