BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC v4.1.1-Problem restoring backups

2017-04-25 03:27:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC v4.1.1-Problem restoring backups
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT molnix DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 10:26:48 +0300
Hi Ib,

This is sounds more like a problem with BackupPC internals, if the
backup number is indeed correct. Maybe someone more familiar with the
code in question can help? Maybe something got corrupted in the pool or
metadata as well (you mentioned data loss)?

Specifically, manual and automatic jobs both are failing but the web UI
works; where the working and failing paths diverge should help dissect
and pinpoint the error.

Meanwhile, if you have the extra space, another route to take is to
convert the pool. I mention extra space because I recommend keeping the
original pool available and instead doing a partition copy of it. On
this mailing list, there are a few notes about the new tool to convert
the pool from V3 to V4 - I have not used it myself, though. My thinking
here is that maybe V4 is better geared for restoring V4 pool files. If
that is the case and you succeed this way, there is room for improvement
in the compatibility layers for V3.

Let's see if more people pitch in here, and I'll be back with further
ideas if I come up with any.

Best regards,
Johan

On 04/25/2017 10:11 AM, Ib H. Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi Johan,
>
> I tried your suggestion of using tarCreate, but with no luck - I keep
> getting the error "bad backup number" for host.
>
> In order to keep it simple, I decided to just make a list of the backup,
> and leave the tar-part out for a start.
>
> it's all run as the backuppc-user (backuppc)
>
> I entered: /usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h ihrsrv31 -n -0
> -s /datard1/documentation -l *
>
> and got the error "bad backup number -0 for host ihrsrv31".
>
> no matter what I enter as backup number - a direct number like 1189
> (which is a previous full V3 backup), or a relative number like -0 / -1
> / -2 as you suggest, I get the bad number error.
>
> Have I misunderstood something?
>
> Best Regards
>
> Ib H. Rasmussen
>

> On 04/24/2017 09:14 PM, Johan Ehnberg wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I can browse and restore single files via the browser, but as it
>>> concerns about 2TB of data it is some job!!
>> The tarCreate option can be a doable solution as a one-off since the
>> rsync route may require more time to set up but web restores work.
>> Basically it creates a tar that you can pipe back to your restore location:
>>
>> BackupPC_tarCreate -h YOURHOSTNAME -n -0 -s / / | tar -x -C /tmp
>>
>> Or, more elaborately for a remote host over a slow link running as
>> another user than backuppc and ensuring all file attributes can be set
>> when extracting, something like:
>>
>> sudo sudo -i -u backuppc /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h
>> YOURHOSTNAME -n -0 -s / / 2> /dev/null |pv -Cq -B 256 |plzip -1 |ssh
>> SOMEOTHERHOST -- 'plzip -d | sudo tar -x -C /tmp'
>>

>>> About the syntax for executing the restore from the command-line i'm not
>>> quite sure, maybe you could elaborate a bit about that (If you still
>>> think it's worth while).
>> They are actually documented well in the file itself (it is perl so not
>> binary, i.e. you can read the file with 'less
>> /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_restore').
>>
>> Let us know how this round goes.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Johan

Johan Ehnberg