BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC v4.1.1-Problem restoring backups

2017-04-24 06:06:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC v4.1.1-Problem restoring backups
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT molnix DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:05:35 +0300
Hi Ib,

I am assuming you are running an restore job from the web UI.

First, make sure that PoolV3Enabled is on since you are accessing a V3
pool from a V4 installation. This is found under Server settings general
parameters.

As a quick solution just to get access to the data or to do a manual
restore, you can of course browse the web UI for the required files and
download them through the browser. On the command line, you can use
BackupPC_tarCreate for a faster approach directly on the server,
especially when using large files. Do the files show up? Does this work
or are you getting errors?

In order to get the proper restore functions working, can you please
post your Rsync Paths/Commands/Args? Can you make a successful backup
using those? Essentially, comparing the backup and restore args is
essential, if the backups are working.

If it is not working, do you still have the V3 equivalents for these
settings at hand to compare against?

Also ensure that SSH keys are installed on the new server and that SSH
is accepting the new host key (of the client) automatically or add it
manually.

To debug the action itself, you can run BackupPC_restore on the command
line on the server with the -v flag to get verbose output.

Post these details and we should be able to find out what is not working
properly.

Best regards,
Johan Ehnberg

On 04/24/2017 11:21 AM, Ib H. Rasmussen wrote:
> I have just installed BackupPc v4.1.1 from Github on a new CentOS7 server.
>
> The backup-server is at the same time my file-server. Unfortunately I
> have lost a number of my data-directories, but I do still have several
> backup's from a previous BackupPC v3 installation.
>
> So my priority is to restore the backup's of the missing data. I'm using
> rsync (which was also used to originally backup the data), and the data
> directory is world writeable to rule-out any access-right problem.
>
> Selinux has been deactivated for the same reason.
>
> When restoring, I get the following error in the BackupPC LOG-file:
>
> 2017-04-20 11:38:30 User ihr requested restore to ihrsrv31-documentation
> (ihrsrv31-documentation)
> 2017-04-20 11:38:30 Started restore on ihrsrv31-documentation (pid=6542)
> 2017-04-20 11:38:32 Restore failed on ihrsrv31-documentation (rsync
> error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(629) [sender=3.0.9.6])
>
> BackupPC::XS and Rsync-bpc are both installed from Github
>
> How can I remedy this problem, and get my data back?
>
> Best Regards
>
> IHR AT tdcadsl DOT dk

Johan Ehnberg
johan AT molnix DOT com