BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] first copy on slow line

2014-09-16 18:48:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] first copy on slow line
From: Xavier Crespin <xavier.crespin AT xlmedia DOT fr>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 00:45:59 +0200
Excellent, very detailed, and precise!

>> the problem you will face is similar to the one i face right now :
>> even if you populate the pool from a fast line, when you will start
>> the first backups on your client host, backuppc will download complete
>> files to compute MD5's and compare it to files in the pool, except
>> maybe if all attributes are absolutely identical (haven't tried that).

> What you are describing here is a pre-populated pool (eliminating the
> need for compressing the data) without a matching reference backup for
> the same host, i.e. you did not backup the data under the same BackupPC
> host name, or you changed relevant parts of the backup configuration
> (*ShareName), or you switched from tar/smb to rsync XferMethod as
> described above. Or you are not using rsync(d) in the first place ;-).

I realize now that in the case i speak of, i have changed the module
name (and so the according $Conf{RsyncShareName} ).
But after putting the original sharename back, the backup process still
downloads complete files that are already in the pool.
Whatever in the time being i'm almost half way through my
client=>backuppc uploads and it will soon be over, the pool did not grow
a kbyte.
(in this case, i use rsync(d), and did not change the method halfway
through)

Thanks for all the details.

Regards