BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] very slow backup on windows

2014-09-17 05:47:11
Subject: [BackupPC-users] very slow backup on windows
From: Nicola Scattolin <nick AT ser-tec DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 11:18:49 +0200
Hi,
i have backuppc backing up a couple of linux machines of 30/40 GB each
and a windows shared folder of 1.1 TB.
Usually it takes one day and a half to backup the windows folder with a
speed around 7 mbit/s but now the speed has decreased to 5 and it takes
up ot 3 days to make full backup.
I have already tried to reboot the server but speed remain the same.
so some details, the backup server is proxmox virtualized, 2.5 Gb of ram
and 2 processors (seems enaught since never reach more than 80% when
making backup) 10/100 eth integrated port.
The windows system is a windows server 2003, also proxmox virtualized, 1
processor.
Backup is make on local environment, at night so lan traffic is very low
or null.
host configuration on backuppc is:
XderMethod:smb
ClientCharsetLegacy:iso-8859-1
SmbClientFullCmd: $smbClientPath \\$host\$shareName $I_option -U
$userName -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc$X_option - $fileList
SmbClientIncrCmd: $smbClientPath \\$host\$shareName $I_option -U
$userName -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -TcN$X_option $timeStampFile - $fileList
compresslevel:3 (maybe i can reduce compression to save time, IF the
problem is backuppc server speed)

how can i speed up my backups? also on linux machine max speed is 11
mbit/s, so not so much.
thank yuo