BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] first copy on slow line

2014-09-15 16:38:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] first copy on slow line
From: Xavier Crespin <xavier.crespin AT xlmedia DOT fr>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:36:41 +0200
Le 2014-09-15 22:27, Evaristo Calatravita a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'm testing bakckuppc during las months but is the first
> problem/question I have: I'm testing to backup various 2TB-filesystems
> with relativelly lower daily changes (about 10-30Mb)
>
> The problem is that the line between these hosts and backuppc server is
> terribly slow :-(, but I have the possibility of make initial backup
> moving info in a harddisk or similar.
>
> The question is: there is some function or hack to copy first backup
> manually to the backuppc server?
>
> Thanks everyone

> Want excitement?
> When you want reliability, choose Perforce
> [1]

the problem you will face is similar to the one i face right now : even
if you populate the pool from a fast line, when you will start the first
backups on your client host, backuppc will download complete files to
compute MD5's and compare it to files in the pool, except maybe if all
attributes are absolutely identical (haven't tried that).

Apparently BPC V4 will have a feature (Rsync checksum caching) wich will
compute checksum on the client side, this feature is already available
in Alpha.

Anyone correct me if i'm wrong...

But the best thing, if you have the opportunity, would be to try on a
test setup, well, at least it wouldn't kill.

Regards