BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Only Incremental Backups

2014-04-24 19:11:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Only Incremental Backups
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:08:28 -0400
Holger Parplies wrote at about 00:15:59 +0200 on Friday, April 25, 2014:
 > Bowie Bailey wrote on 2014-04-24 16:08:49 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Only
 > Incremental Backups]:
 > > On 4/24/2014 3:52 PM, backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org wrote:
 > > > Bowie Bailey wrote at about 14:38:26 -0400 on Thursday, April 24, 2014:

 > > > Not quite.
 > > >
 > > > Only data changed/added since the previous level incremental needs to be
 > > > transferred.
 >
 > not quite ;-). My turn to be pedantic. For incremental backups, that is true.
 > For *full* backups, the reference is the previous backup *of any level*. So a
 > full backup will *not* retransmit any changes the preceeding backup has
 > caught.

I truly thought that was obvious even if my wording wasn't perhaps the
clearest... :)

When doing the next full, the object compared to is also the most
recent incremental (since we were discussing the case where we are
doing incrementals so a full follows an incremental)... but yeah I
could have worded it better...