BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Only Incremental Backups

2014-04-24 14:39:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Only Incremental Backups
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 14:38:26 -0400
On 4/24/2014 1:05 PM, Guilherme Cunha wrote:
> Bowie,
>
> Thanks for answering!
>
> I have one full backup of my client but the internet is very slow ...
> and is taking too long to finish the backup.

The slow Internet connection will be more of a problem for multiple
incrementals than for a mix of full and incremental backups.  Keep in
mind that the reason the full backup is slower than an incremental is
that it has to read and compare all of the files. The amount of data
transferred across your slow Internet connection will be about the same.

Since the incremental backups are based on the previous full backup,
each incremental backup will transfer more and more data across the
Internet connection until you do another full backup to reset things.

> I need to have one complete backup and others partials, how can i do
> that?!

Don't do that.  It will eat up more of your Internet bandwidth than a
mix of fulls and incrementals.

BTW: "partial" refers to a backup that was started, but did not
complete.  The term you want is "incremental".

> My problem is that: i do that by the internet, it is 20GB of data and
> my client have a link with 512k upload and here i have 10MB of download.
>
> The method used is rsyncd.

Rsyncd will only transfer changes across your Internet connection. It
will transfer the same changes whether you do a full backup or an
incremental.  The first full backup will have to transfer all 20GB.
After that, only the changes will be transferred regardless of whether
you do a full backup or an incremental.

If your main concern is Internet usage, the best scenario is actually to
do only full backups.  The main reason to do incrementals at all is that
they run faster since they only look at timestamps instead of actually
comparing the file data.

Think of incremental backups this way...

Pros:
1) They finish running quicker.

Cons:
1) They can miss backing up files in certain circumstances
2) They cause the same data to be transferred multiple times.
     - Each incremental will transfer all the same data as the previous
one plus any new changes
     - The next full backup will also need to transfer all of that data
again.

--
Bowie