BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Only Incremental Backups

2014-04-24 13:55:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Only Incremental Backups
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:45:22 +0200
Hi,

Guilherme Cunha wrote on 2014-04-24 14:05:43 -0300 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Only
Incremental Backups]:
> Thanks for answering!

only helps if you read the answer.

> I have one full backup of my client but the internet is very slow ... and
> is taking too long to finish the backup.
>
> I need to have one complete backup and others partials, how can i do that?!

You can't. There is only ever one partial backup, and it's from an attempted
full backup.

Actually, you are mistaking requirements and attempts at a solution here. "One
complete backup and others partial" is never a requirement, it's a
misconception. Please learn to ask meaningful questions.

If your problem is that your daily data changes do not fit across the
connection, you will never solve that, except *maybe* with compression, or
better by getting more bandwidth.

> My problem is that: i do that by the internet, it is 20GB of data and my
> client have a link with 512k upload and here i have 10MB of download.
>
> The method used is rsyncd.

Read again:

> [...]
> > 3) If you are using rsync, then a full backup will not take any more
> > network bandwidth than an incremental.

rsyncd is the same thing as rsync, in case that wasn't clear.

> > It will take longer because of the need to actually compare each file,
> > but only the changes will be transferred across the network.

Meaning "longer than an incremental backup", though a slow link will tend to
hide the difference in speed. 20 GB should not be a problem in terms of
comparing data via "rsync --ignore-times". Other people do that, and it's
totally independent of link speed.

On the contrary, if link speed is your bottleneck, you *want* full backups,
because they transfer *less data* in the long run. You would typically
*minimize* the amount of transferred data by doing alternating full and
incremental backups. Some of that depends on your pattern of changes, but
since you tell us almost nothing, we'll assume this is particularly true
for your case.

> > What are you trying to accomplish by only running incrementals?

Or, more generally, tell us what you are *trying to do* instead of *what
step you are stuck on*, if you want more of an answer than "your step isn't
possible".

In particular, how much daily changes does your data include? How much time
can your backup take? Can it saturate the link, or is only a part of the
bandwidth available to you? Is the link stable? Is there an underlying VPN,
can you enable compression there, or is it possibly already enabled?

Regards,
Holger