BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What file system do you use?

2013-12-17 09:08:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What file system do you use?
From: Mark Campbell <mcampbell AT emediatrade DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 06:50:49 -0700
I too am using ZFS, and I can honestly say that ZFS works great, up to a point.
 rsync does seem to take up an inordinate amount of resources, but in a smaller
shop like mine, it's been tolerable.  I think it would work in a larger shop
too, but the system resource requirements (CPU/RAM) would grow larger than what
you would expect normally.  I've had a couple of instances of performance
issues in my setup, where over time, rsync was uploading data to the system
faster than zfs could process it, and so I'd watch my load go through the roof
(8.00+ on a quad core system), and I would have to stop BackupPC for an hour or
so, so that ZFS could catch up, but other than that, this system has actually
handled it fairly well.

What I really like about ZFS though, is the deduplication coupled with
compression.  I've disabled compression in BackupPC to allow ZFS to properly do
the dedup & compression (enabling compression in BackupPC kills ZFS' dedup
ability, since it messes with the checksums of the files), and I'm getting
numbers in the range of 4.xx deduplication.  My ZFS array is 1.12TB in size,
yet, according to BackupPC, I've got 1800GB in fulls, and 2400GB in
incrementals.  When I query the array for actual disk usage, it says I'm using
557GB of space...  Now that's just too cool.

Thanks,

--Mark