BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What file system do you use?

2013-12-16 22:17:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What file system do you use?
From: Tim Connors <tconnors AT rather.puzzling DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:59:50 +1100 (EST)
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013, Timothy J Massey wrote:

> One last thing:  everyone who uses ZFS raves about it.  But seeing as (on
> Linux) you're limited to either FUSE or out-of-tree kernel modules (of
> questionable legality:  ZFS' CDDL license is *not* GPL compatible), it's
> not my first choice for a backup server, either.

I am using it, and it sucks for a backuppc load (in fact, from the mailing
list, it is currently (and has been for a couple of years) terrible on an
rsync style workload - any metadata heavy workload will eventually crash
the machine after a couple of weeks uptime.  Some patches are being tested
right now out of tree that look promising, but I won't be testing them
myself until it hits master 0.6.3.

Problem for me is that it takes about a month to migrate to a new
filesystem.  I migrated to zfs a couple of years ago with insufficient
testing.  I should have kept on ext4+mdadm (XFS was terrible too - no
faster than ext4, and given that I've always lost data on various systems
with it because it's such a flaky filesystem, I wasn't gaining anything).
mdadm is more flexible than ZFS, although harder to configure.  With
mdadm+ext4, you can choose any disk arrangement you like without being
limited to simple RAID-Z(n) arrangements of equal sized disks.  That said,
I do prefer ZFS's scrubbing compared to mdadm's, but only slightly.  If I
was starting from scratch and didn't have 4-5 years of backup archives,
I'd tell backuppc to turn off compression and munging of the pool, and let
ZFS do it.

I used JFS 10 years ago, and "niche buggy product" would be my description
for it.  Basically, go with the well tested popular FSs, because they're
not as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

--
Tim Connors