BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What file system do you use?

2013-12-16 14:59:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What file system do you use?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:51:41 -0500
Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com> wrote on 12/16/2013 02:35:44 PM:

> Mark Rosedale <mrosedale AT vivox DOT com> wrote on 12/16/2013 09:06:07 AM:
>
> > I'm working on bringing back a backuppc instance. It is very large 3
> > +TB. The issue I'm having is e2fsck is taking an extremely long time
> > to finish. It is stuck on the checking directory structure. We are
> > going on 48 hours.
>
> How much RAM do you have?  This can make a very large difference.  a
> 3+TB drive can need 4GB or more to complete in a reasonable amount of time.

Just to add a detail:  I've had problems on systems with 1GB RAM fsck'ing a file system that was ~3TB:  it failed with OOM, but did not with 2GB.  I've successfully fsck'ed ~5TB filesystems with 4GB RAM (4 spindles, 20-30 minutes) and 11TB with 8GB (6 spindles, 40 or so minutes).  You might be able to do less, but you can at least do it with that.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com