BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What file system do you use?

2013-12-16 13:02:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What file system do you use?
From: Kris Lou <klou AT themusiclink DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:28:57 -0800
FWIW, it looks like RHEL 7 (plus clones) will now default to XFS.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org> wrote:

> I'm working on bringing back a backuppc instance. It is very large 3+TB.
> The issue I'm having is e2fsck is taking an extremely long time to finish.
> It is stuck on the checking directory structure. We are going on 48 hours.
>
> So I'm wondering what other file systems do you guys use? Any
> recommendations of one that may be more efficient or better suited for
> such a large volume on Bakcuppc? Because once I have this machine back up
> I'm actually going to add more drives.
>
> Thanks,
> mjr

I notice a few people have either suggested or recommended xfs.  Having
done a technical review specifically for BackupPC for a mixed environment
(Windows and Unix backups) xfs is my first choice, for both performance
and functionality.  It avoids the whole fsck thing entirely, and as a
dubious bonus, is capable of defragmentation in situ.  One feature that it
lacks -- and probably will always lack -- is the ability to shrink, so if
you need that, look elsewhere.  (Personally, this has never come up for
me.)

jfs doesn't have quite the same fsck advantage, but is a close second in
most categories.

reiserfs/4 I'd rule out due to abandonment and reliability issues.