BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Debian / Ubuntu restore solution?

2013-12-10 16:06:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Debian / Ubuntu restore solution?
From: Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:05:28 +0100
On 10.12.2013 14:12, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Hi,
> How about I do something like this:
>
> (1) Move the backups onto a USB drive
> (2) Make some sort of Debian-specific image of the OS partitions
> (3) Replace hard drive
> (4) Restore image from 2 onto new drive
> (5) Check BackupPC is happy

This seems to be about right. However, the next time your disk goes
sour, you will have the same issues. It may be prudent to take a RAID
solution into account. I have such a setup (external eSATA 2-bay RAID 2
enclosure with one cold spare disk) working at home with no problems
yet. The only issue is that smartmontool does not work with the external
RAID controller and I have to check the LCD screen of the RAID enclosure
for error messages periodically. An internal LVM based (software) RAID 2
may have been the better solution in this regard.

With kind regards

Stefan Peter